The Fitness Center is located in the hospital's northeast wing of the third floor and is available for use by all members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Staffed Hours of Operation
Please call 337.462.7426 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment with one of our Fitness Center trainers; inquire about memberships or personal training; schedule a personal walk-through of the center or orientation; or ask any other questions.
Enrollment and Membership Fees
- Monthly single membership (one adult, must be 18 or older)–$25.
- Monthly joint membership (two adults, same household, billing to one account)–$40.
- Monthly family membership (two adults, plus one youth, may add additional youth for additional fee)–$50.
- Additional youth for joint (one adult plus one youth) or family membership–$15.
- Corporate (corporation or business contract for their employees, waive initial fee)–$25.
- Basic Fitness Center orientation for new members–Free.
- Deluxe Fitness Center orientation, including health assessment and workout plan–$25.
- Individualized training sessions (30 minutes)–$25.
- Individualized training sessions (60 minutes)–$48.
- Personal training per session (assessment, health history, program development)–$40.
- Youth membership assessment-mandatory (assessment, health history, program development)–$40.
Fitness Center Trainers
Jim Buxton is a Clinical Exercise Physiologist licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. Jim has been prescribing exercise for cardiovascular patients, otherwise healthy individuals and special populations for over 20 years. During that time, Jim has held membership and/or certifications from such organizations as the American Heart Association, American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association and Louisiana Association of Exercise Physiologists. While earning a bachelor's degree in exercise science from UL Lafayette, Jim spent several years training in competitive powerlifting and bodybuilding, earning titles on the state and national level. Jim is very knowledgeable on current trends in cardiovascular rehabilitation along with the numerous forms of strength and conditioning, and is proficient with Olympic lifting technique. When he is not working with cardiac patients in Rehabilitation Services, he can be found in the Fitness Center performing various operational responsibilities, individual and small group personal training sessions and assisting in boot camp instruction.
Dustie Kulaga Waddell
Dustie is a graduate from McNeese State University with bachelor's in health and human performance, with a concentration in health promotion. She is also Group Fitness and Spin Class Certified with NETA. After graduation, she worked in the Fitness Center as a recreation and wellness assistant in Hawaii on Pearl Harbor Base while moonlighting as a personal trainer. In 2012, Dustie moved back to the mainland, working as an independent personal trainer at the Trinity Center in Lake Charles along with teaching a group fitness class called HITT (High-Intensity Interval Training). Since the spring of 2014 she's been an employee of the Fitness Center, where she works as a personal trainer and designs and leads all of the hospital's exercise classes, including boot camps.