Autumn apple-cranberry crisp
Makes 8 servings.
Canola oil spray
7 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup fresh cranberries
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons butter, softened (or trans fat-free margarine)
Frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly coat medium shallow baking dish with canola oil spray.
- Place apples and cranberries in dish and gently toss together.
- In medium bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, nuts and butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar mixture on top of fruit.
- Bake until apples and cranberries are bubbly and tender, about 50 minutes.
- Transfer dish to wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm with frozen yogurt, if desired.
Amount per serving: 268 calories, 8g total fat (3g saturated fat), 50g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 4g dietary fiber, 9mg sodium.
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research